• 400g brown basmati rice
• 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
• 4 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 454 g can unsweetened pineapple chunks with juice
• 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• 3 cm fresh ginger, peeled, grated
• 1 clove garlic, peeled, finely sliced
• 1 tbsp cornflour
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp five spice powder
• 400g skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2cm cubes
• 2 tbsp sunflower oil
• 4 spring onions, cut into 3cm lengths
• 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
• 25g fresh coriander
1. Cook the rice according to pack instructions.
2. In a saucepan dissolve the sugar in the vinegar over a gentle heat.
3. Add the pineapple, juice, ketchup and soy sauce. Bring to the boil. Add the ginger and garlic. Simmer gently until the sauce starts to thicken. Set aside.
4. Combine the cornflour, salt and five spice on a plate. Toss the chicken in the mix to coat. Pre-heat a wok to very hot. Add 1 tbsp of the oil and fry the chicken, in batches, turning the pieces until crispy. Transfer the chicken onto a plate.
5. Add another tbsp oil. Stir-fry the spring onion and peppers for 2 minutes.
6. Add the chicken and stir in the sauce, simmer gently for 2 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce glossy and thick.
7. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with the rice.