Mmmm, Spiced Apple, Raisin and Cinnamon Porridge! Warming, comforting and sustaining.
Adding the apples and raisins not only adds delicious flavour and texture, but also actually helps slow down the release of energy from this porridge, keeping you going for even longer.
Try out variations of this using pears or dried apricots, for example, or take a peak at this #gofaster porridge with blueberries and toasted walnuts, a firm favourite with many Go Faster Foodies.
IngredientsServes 2 Ingredients:
- 60g rolled oats
- 225ml milk or almond milk
- 225ml water
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and diced
- handful of raisins
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- pinch of salt
- A little maple syrup, agave, coconut sugar or manuka honey
- Energy (kcal) 383
- Protein (g) 8
- Carbohydrate (g) 83
- Of which sugars (g) 53
- Fat (g) 5
- Of which saturates (g) 2
- Salt (g) 0.5
- Fibre (g) 10
- Put the oats, milk. water, apples, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in a small saucepan. a
- Bring to the boil over a high heat and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Stir the porridge frequently over a low heat, for about 5 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Add the salt halfway through cooking.
- Pour the porridge into warmed bowls and drizzle with a little honey or syrup.