Are you a lunchbox ninja or are you hooked on your regular meal deal? With a little prior planning and preparation, it’s easy to boost your lunch hour with more nutrients and deliciousness! Here’s something to cheer up those dank Autumn workdays. This warm and spicy Red Lentil, Spinach and Coconut Soup is packed with goodness, including sustaining, nutrient-rich carbs, protein and fibre. It’s an excellent source of vitamins and minerals too. Great if you’re planning a training session after work. Fresh ginger is also good to use in your training diet as it works as an anti-inflammatory on your muscles.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 160g red lentils
- 1 cm fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100g spinach leaves
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 x garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ red chilli flakes
- ½ lime to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion for two minutes. Add the ginger and turmeric and fry for another minute.
- Rinse the lentils in a sieve under running water until the water runs clear. Tip them into the saucepan, add the stock and bring to the boil. Stir, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth and return to the pan (optional). Stir in the spinach and stir until the spinach wilts.
- Gently fry the garlic, cumin seeds, and red chilli flakes in 1 tsp oil for 1 minute, stirring all the time. Stir into the soup. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve in warmed soup bowls with a wedge of lime to squeeze over.