If you find sweet gels and energy bars on long rides hard to stomach, then these delicious savoury peanut butter rice balls make a really effective alternative. White short grain rice is loaded with fast releasing carbohydrate which will top up depleted glycogen levels efficiently, as well as providing healthy unsaturated fats, potassium, sodium and vitamin B6.
Fancy something a bit more seasonal? Try these yummy Christmas Energy Balls!
Ingredients for about 10 balls
- 2 tbsp (50g) whole nut crunchy peanut butter (no sugar)
- 4 dried apricots (use the soft variety), chopped very finely
- Zest of ½ lime, finely grated
- 250g cooked sushi or pudding rice
Nutrition per ball
- Energy (kcal) 127
- Carbohydrate (g) 23
- Of which sugars (g) 2
- Of which saturates (g) 0.5
- Protein (g) 3.2
- Fat (g) 3
- Fibre (g) 1
- Salt (g) 0.5
MethodEquipment needed: Spoon, 10 pieces of cling film cut into 10 x 10 cm squares
- Combine the peanut butter, apricots and lime zest in a small bowl.
- Place one teaspoon of cooked rice on a sheet of cling film.
- Spoon a small amount (less than ½ tsp) of the peanut butter mixture in the middle of the rice and then cover with a little more rice.
- Pick up the cling film to form a parcel, so that the peanut butter mixture is enveloped inside, and shape the rice into a ball, or whatever shape you prefer.
- Twist the top of the cling film to form a tight seal.
- Refrigerate to help the balls firm up.
- Peel off the cling film, and enjoy!