Porridge like you’ve never tried before! This breakfast is all about the garnish; a kickass combo of cayenne, cinnamon, fresh ginger, citrus, dried fruit and nuts. It may taste amazing, but it will also help boost your metabolism and immune system and help reduce muscle inflammation. The coconut flakes provide extra fat and the Himalayan salt is packed with electrolytes – sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium. An excellent source of slow-releasing carbohydrate, this porridge will help stabilise your blood sugars, keeping you going for even longer in training. What’s more, studies show that oats can lower cholesterol and promote good gut health.
IngredientsIngredients to serve 2:
- 60g rolled oats
- 225ml milk or almond milk
- 225ml water
- Zest of a lemon
- Zest of a lime
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cm knob of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp toasted coconut flakes
- a few chopped dates
- a few chopped walnuts
- A little maple syrup, agave, coconut sugar or honey
- Pour the oats, milk and water, in a small saucepan.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat and then turn the heat down to a simmer. Stir the porridge frequently over a low heat, for about 5 minutes, until thick and creamy.
- Pour the porridge into warmed bowls and scatter over the garnish ingredients and a spoonful of the sweet stuff of your choice.