With the anti-sugar campaign at full-steam, shop-bought granola is getting a rather bad name for itself. Rightly so, it is often overly sweet and packed with added sugar. Unlike this granola, which only contains a few grams of honey (about a teaspoon) per portion! Dead easy to prepare, you can really impress your friends by offering home made granola; ha ha, they don’t know it only takes a couple of minutes to stir the ingredients together, 20 minutes in the oven, 5 minutes for it to crisp up and hey presto, bob’s your uncle!
Totally delicious for breakfast with fresh fruit and yoghurt or as a nutritious and tasty snack before or after training, this pecan and pumpkin seed granola is packed with nutrients to supercharge energy levels, as well as a great combo of sustaining, low GI carbohydrate, quality protein and unsaturated, heart-friendly fats.
IngredientsFor 8-10 portions
- 200g jumbo porridge oats
- 100g pecans, roughly chopped
- 50g pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp honey, agave or maple syrup
- 2 tsbp sunflower or rapeseed (canola) oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Small handful of crystallised ginger, chopped
- Energy (kcal) 245
- Carbohydrate (g) 24.7
- Of which sugars (g) 4
- Fat (g) 15.2
- Of which saturates (g) 1.6
- Protein (g) 4.6
- Salt (g) 0.8
- Fibre (g) 4.3
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Mix together the oats, nuts and seeds with the ground ginger, honey, oil and water.
- Spread the mixture evenly on a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown, turning the muxture after 10 minutes for it to brown evenly.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes or so. It will crisp up like magic.
- Add the chopped ginger.
- Store in an airtight container for up to three weeks although you’ll find it usually disappears after a couple of days!