Go Faster Porridge with walnuts & blueberries. Whatever your sport, there are few better ways to start the day than with a bowl of hot, steaming porridge. And for good reason:
- Porridge oats are low in fat, low G.I. which means that the carbohydrate is released into your bloodstream slowly and will therefore sustain your energy levels and help prevent those eleven o’clock cravings.
- A nice warm bowl of porridge will provide a little internal central heating for your body and make leaving the house for work or for an early morning run that much easier on these cold mornings.
- Porridge oats are also a good, natural way of lowering cholesterol.
- If trying to tighten the belt financially rather than physically, porridge is a much cheaper breakfast than any of the sugary processed over-packaged cereals.
For a change of scene, try this spiced apple, raisin and cinnamon porridge. It’s warming, comforting and very yummy!
- 100g porridge
- 550 ml water or milk or ½ and ½
- Pinch of salt
- 150g punnet of fresh blueberries
- Handful of walnuts
- Good quality runny honey to taste (Manuka is very good but very expensive, Greek runny honey is delicious)
- Energy 382 kcal
- Protein 12g
- Carbohydrate 50 g (sugars 19 g)
- Fat 15 g (saturates 2 g)
- Salt 1.1 g
- Fibre 7 g
MethodEveryone has their own favourite way of eating porridge. Some make it with milk, some with water, some eat it salty and some sweet. In my house, maple syrup, honey or dark Muscovado sugar seem to be the most popular. If I am running, I always make my porridge with water as it is lighter on the stomach.
- Put the oats, water and/or milk into a pan with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil over a high heat and then turn the heat down and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. The porridge with become thick and creamy. The amount of liquid depends on the type of porridge you use. The less refined the oats, the more liquid you will need.
- Meanwhile, pop the nuts onto a baking tray and roast in the oven at 160°C for 5 minutes.
- Pour into two warmed bowls, sprinkle with the blueberries and nuts and drizzle over the honey.