Regular Go Faster Foodies will know that I’ve got a bit of a thing for avocados! Yes, avocados can be heavy on the calories, but these calories are rammed with energy-fuelled nutrients. A rich source of unsaturated fat, avocados pack a nutritional punch with nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. They contain even more potassium than bananas so they make excellent post-exercise nutrition too.
Try them simply mashed and spread on a hunk of delicious fresh bread, sprinkled with a little salt and a squeeze of lime juice. Certain heathens in my family claim not to like avocados, but they never seem to hold back on this yummy GUACAMOLE, my popular #gofaster CHOCOLATE AVOCADO CAKE or this amazingly creamy avocado spaghetti dish below.
Don’t forget to subscribe for your weekly #GoFasterFriday recipe here – we’ll send it straight to your inbox.
Ingredientsto serve 4
- 400g spaghetti
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- large pinch of salt
- plenty of freshly ground black pepper
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 25g feta cheese, sliced very thinly or crumbled
- 25g pack of basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 200g pack of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 dried chilli, crumbled
- Energy (kcal) 661
- Carbohydrate (g) 66 (of which sugars (g) 1)
- Protein (g) 22
- Fat (g) 35 (of which saturates (g) 8.5)
- Salt (g) 1.5
- Fibre (g) 7.5
- Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted boiling water, according to the instructions on the pack.
- While the spghetti is cooking, grill the bacon. When it is nice and crispy, transfer to a plate, cool and break into pieces.
- On a chopping board, cut the avocados in half and remove the stones. Scoop out the flesh and transfer to a flat plate. Mash with a fork, then add the garlic, salt and pepper, squeeze of lemon or lime juice, the torn basil leaves and most of the feta (keep a little basil and feta to the side to sprinkle on top for decoration).
- Drain the spaghetti when it is ready, saving about 2 tbsps of the cooking water to prevent it from sticking. Return it to the saucepan, with the reserved cooking water, and then stir in the avocado mixture, the crispy bacon and the baby tomatoes and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Mix throughly until well combined.
- Serve on four warmed plates and sprinkle over the reserved basil and feta, and a few sprinkles of dried chilli.