Up your game with this amazing birchermuesli. Overnight oats that pack a punch! Soak the oats the night before; all you have to do in the morning is take them out of the fridge, stir in yoghurt and apple, your favourite nuts or seeds and eat! Originally created by Dr Bircher-Benner in the 1890’s as a healthy meal for his patients in his Zurich hospital, this muesli provides an excellent balance of heart-healthy, sustaining nutrients, including slow-releasing carbohydrate, good quality protein and omega-3 fatty acids. It’s also a great source of vitamin E, potassium, and cholesterol-reducing fibre. A sustaining breakfast to set you up for a busy day, or eat a couple of hours before a big workout or a race – it will top up your glycogen stores and keep you going for longer.
Ingredientsfor 2 large servings
- 120g unsweetened muesli with fruit and nuts
- Enough milk, or non-dairy alternative, to cover the muesli
- Splash of apple juice
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg, ground cinnamon or cardamom
- 1 crisp, fresh apple, grated,
- 1tbsp natural yogurt or kefir
- 1 tsp runny honey
- Small handful of almonds, toasted, or sunflower seeds
- Energy 240 kcal
- Carbs 36 g
- Of which sugars 23 g
- Protein 8 g
- Fat 6 g
- Of which saturates trace
- Salt 0.2 g
- Fibre 4g
- Pour over enough milk to cover the muesli generously and add a splash of apple juice.
- Grate over a little nutmeg.
- Leave for a couple of hours, or over overnight, in the fridge. When you are ready to eat your Birchermuesli, remove from the fridge and stir in the grated apple.
- Add a dollop of natural yoghurt, the almonds or seeds and a good drizzle of honey.