Love it or hate it, beetroot has pretty astonishing qualities for athletes. That’s because it contains nitrates, which, once converted to nitrite and nitric oxide in the body. You might find the purple colour of the juice a little unusual, but this Beetroot, Carrot & Watercress Boost Juice is packed with iron, folic acid, essential minerals and antioxidants and latest research suggests that purple foods such as beetroot can also protect you against heart disease, strokes, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. The vitamin C in the vegetables and the apple juice also helps your body to absorb the iron more efficiently.
Give it a go, you’ll be pleasantly surprised!
- 1 small cooked beetroot (about 50g)
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 150ml apple juice
- 100ml water
- 4–5 ice cubes
- handful of watercress (remove any thick stalks)
- pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the carrot and the beetroot into small cubes and put in a blender with the apple juice, water and the ice cubes.
- Blend for a minute. Add the watercress and blend again until the mixture is really smooth.
- Add a pinch of salt and some black pepper. Strain the juice through a tea strainer or sieve.