This #GoFaster Banana Bread recipe is an old family recipe of my lovely friend Kate Persad, who was brought up in Connecticut, USA, so apologies in advance that it is in cups (which, I have to say, make baking cakes a whole lot quicker and easier in my humble opinion).
I’ll often bung my overripe bananas in the freezer if I’ve no time to make a cake, just take them out and defrost in the microwave..
Best eaten warm, this cake is a totally delicious post-workout snack, loved by kids and adults alike.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour (I used wholemeal, but that's not in the original recipe)
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 desert spoon demerara sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 180 C. Grease and line a 1 litre loaf tin.
- Beat together the sugar and the butter until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs.
- Stir in the mashed bananas.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Pour into the loaf tin, sprinkle the cinnamon/sugar mix over the top and bake in the oven for about 1 - 1 1/4 hours or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool (or just serve it hot, as soon as it comes out of the oven)