I don’t know about you, but no Christmas lunch is complete without a few Brussels sprouts! Love them or hate them, they’re loaded with vitamins C, A and K, fibre, and anti-oxidants, they can reduce inflammation and help fight against disease. But despite their enormous health benefits, it’s difficult to persuade some hardened sprout-haters to give them a go, even when it comes to my totally delicious new baby sprouts recipe below!
Sweeter, nuttier and without the bitter taste of larger sprouts, these little baby taste bombs will pleasantly surprise even the fussiest (as long as you can persuade them to try them in the first place!).
- 4 slices of pancetta
- 25g unsalted butter
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- 450g Brussels sprouts
- A sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
- Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grill the pancetta under a medium grill until crispy. Roughly break into pieces and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Add the Brussels spouts and toss so that they are coated with butter. Sauté gently for 3 minutes, moving the sprouts around the pan frequently.
- Increase the heat a little and add the hot chicken stock and the thyme, if using. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for a couple more minutes until the sprouts are just tender. Drain if there is any stock left in the pan, but the sprouts will probably have soaked up most of this.
- Add the pancetta, season with freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice , if using, and serve in a warmed dish.