Go Faster Food Recipe
Spanish Almond Cake
PREP TIME: 10 MINS.
COOK TIME: 30-35 mins
Makes a 23cm cake enough for 6-8 people.
This fabulous almond cake is incredibly quick and easy to make. A delicious mix of just almonds, sugar and eggs, it is moist and light, gluten free and a great natural energy food. The almonds in this cake provide plenty of good, cholesterol-reducing monounsaturated fats and significant amounts of the antioxidant vitamin E, plus magnesium and potassium. Fantastic to eat as a post-exercise treat to replenish your muscles with carbohydrate, protein and lost minerals or even to serve it up as a dinner party dessert with a dollop of cream and some fruit.
- Energy 323 kcal
- Protein 9g
- Carbohydrate 31 g (sugars 30 g)
- Fat 18 g(saturates 2 g)
- Salt 0.1 g
- Fibre 2 g
- 4 eggs, separated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g ground almonds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp medium or sweet sherry
- icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Lightly grease a 23cm spring-form cake tin or flan dish.
- Whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage with an electric whisk
- Put the egg yolks, lemon zest and sugar into a separate bowl and whisk until pale and creamy.
- Stir in the almonds, the cinnamon and the sherry.
- Fold in the egg whites, a little at a time, and then pour the mixture into the cake tin.
- Cook in the oven for about 30–35 minutes, until golden. If you poke a skewer into the middle of the cake, it should come out clean. Cool in the tin, on a wire rack.
- Decorate with icing sugar.